Home > News > Content

Is Ion Exchange Resin Toxic

Jul 23, 2020

Recently, many new friends ask, is ion exchange resin toxic? Will ion exchange resin produce toxic substances in water treatment? Can ion exchange resin really purify water into pure water? Is ion exchange resin a dangerous substance? In short, there are various worries. Let's take a closer look


Ion exchange resins can purify water: ion exchange resins are polymer compounds, which can be divided into cation exchange resins and anion exchange resins. Cation resins are subdivided into sodium and hydrogen forms, which can dissociate certain cations in aqueous solution ( Such as H+ or Na+), sodium type resin exchanges calcium and magnesium ions in water into sodium ions to make the water soft, hydrogen type resin exchanges calcium and magnesium ions in water into hydrogen ions to soften the water, and the anion resin contains replaceable The hydroxide ions can dissociate anions (such as OH- or Cl-) in the aqueous solution, and can exchange with the acid radical ions in the water, that is, the ions in the resin and the ions in the solution exchange each other, thereby separating the ions in the solution , Using anion resin and hydrogen type cation resin at the same time can turn water into pure water. Don't worry, the ion exchange resin is non-toxic.


Ion exchange resin is not a dangerous article: Ion exchange resin is a polymer compound with functional groups (active groups with exchange ions), a network structure, and insoluble polymer. When in use, if the ion exchange resin is saturated with acid or alkali Backwashing, because the backwashing wastewater contains heavy metals, acids and alkalis, this is a hazardous waste, but it will not cause too much harm to the human body.


It should be noted that if the ion exchange resin needs to be regenerated after failure, the regenerating agent is generally hydrochloric acid and sodium hydroxide. If the quality of the regenerating agent is good, rinse thoroughly after regeneration, the effluent is harmless, but if the regenerant contains it is harmful to the human body If the washing is not thorough, it is harmful to the human body.


Poisoning of ion-exchange resin: ion-exchange resin is easy to exchange with metal ions in water, but some high-priced metals, such as iron ions, copper ions, etc., have a very strong binding ability with resin, and it is difficult to regenerate even with acid. Part of the active sites of the resin are permanently occupied by the metal ion, which is the poisoning of the ion exchange resin, which is different from the ion exchange resin, which is non-toxic.


Although ion exchange resin is non-toxic, it is flammable when exposed to open flames and high heat. Therefore, ion exchange resin should be stored in a cool, ventilated warehouse, away from fire and heat sources, and the warehouse temperature should not exceed 30°C.


So, don’t worry, the ion exchange resin is non-toxic, not a dangerous substance, but you should also pay attention to the reasonable and correct use and cleaning to avoid the ion exchange resin’s poisoning.

Source:https://www.up-resin.com/

Back