Use of color gel coat
1. Choose the right gel coat model before use
2. Prepare the mold completely and thoroughly. The surface of the mold determines the surface of the product.
3. Stir each barrel of gel coat before use, but the speed should be slow to avoid mixing bubbles
4. Before starting the operation, the temperature of the gel coat and the mold should be maintained at 16 to 30 degrees. The ideal mold temperature should be 2-3 degrees higher than the temperature of the gel coat, so that a more glossy gel coat surface can be obtained after curing
5. The relative humidity in the workshop should be lower than 80%, and the humidity will cause the required curing temperature to increase. In addition, it is necessary to prevent water from accumulating on the mold surface
6. The surface of the mold needs to be waxed sufficiently. Do not use silicone-containing mold release wax. Use water-soluble mold release wax to wait for the water to evaporate before applying gel coat
7. Do not add solvent to dilute, such as acetone. If a lower viscosity is required during use, a small amount of styrene (<2%)
8. The amount of curing agent (MEKP) is generally 1-2%. If the amount of curing agent is too high or too low, the water resistance and weather resistance of the product will be reduced
9. If adding color paste, ensure the uniformity and stability of the color. Accurately weigh the equipment and stir according to the recommended amount. Color gel coats can also be used.
Gelcoat resin and styrene
Gel coat resin is the transfer resin used to make the gel coat layer of glass fiber reinforced plastic products. Styrene is still the most suitable monomer currently used for UP resin. However, styrene has a high vapor pressure at room temperature and is easy to volatilize, especially when using hand paste Or injection molding process, the process of making the gel coat layer and back reinforcement layer of FRP products is more volatile. When the vapor concentration exceeds a certain amount (greater than 50PG/g), it will irritate the eyes, nose and mucous membranes, causing dizziness and nausea. symptom. Therefore, the development of low-styrene dispersible gel coat resin is very necessary and of great practical significance. Many new gel coat resins have been developed abroad, and the country is catching up again. As the basic research technology of glass fiber reinforced plastics has matured, advanced foreign equipment and technology have continuously caused the rapid development of the glass fiber reinforced plastics industry, and the variety of gel coat resins has continued to expand.
At present, domestically produced gel coat resins can be divided into o-benzene type and vinyl type according to the type of matrix resin. The functions and uses can be divided into product gel coat, mold gel coat, flame retardant gel coat, marine gel coat, high Elastic gel coat, food grade gel coat, etc. The variety and performance of gel coat resin have to be continuously improved, which is the continuous expansion of the application field of gel coat resin.